Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Roasted Vegetable Orzo Salad

There's just something about lamb chops that I love so much. And a few weeks ago, I was really craving them so I pulled out the ones that I had froze over Easter. I decided to serve Ina's Roasted Vegetable and Orzo salad as side. In fact, I pretty much followed that particular episode of Barefoot Contessa to a "T" since I also decided to make a carrot cake. Except I made this one instead.

Chopped 1/2 red onion, 1 yellow and red pepper, 1 small yellow squash,
1 small zuchinni

These are the vegetables for the roasted vegetable orzo salad. Before roasting obviously. Don't they look so colorful and healthy? I love veggies.


These are the vegetables after roasting. They turn out so sweet and caramelized. Roasted vegetables are seriously an untapped resource, people. I think kids would eat their vegetables more if parents just roasted them more often. Or you know what else would get kids to eat their veggies? Tell them they'll get scurvy if they don't.


So in additional to the lovely roasted vegetables, I added cooked orzo, scallions, basil, the lemon dressing and pine nuts. Oh my. Pine nuts are from the gods! They really, truly are. I worship at the church of pine nuts.


This salad is so good, my sister, who positively HATES onions, ate the salad with glee and in fact complimented it. Of course I didn't tell her about the onions. Hee hee. I'm evil. Maybe I'll make a believer out of her yet.

1 comment: