Tuesday, April 14, 2009
My First Turkey Stock Attempt
Yesterday I decided to attempt to make turkey stock out of the drumstick bones from Easter. I put the bones in a large stock pot and covered with water. Then I added onions, garlic, celery, thyme and whole peppercorns and let it cook for about 5 hours. The house smelled wonderful! When I tasted the stock it tasted a little watery to me, so I got nervous and added a bouillon cube. I don't know if it really made a difference but it made me feel better. I let the stock cool and then I refrigerated overnight. When I came home today, I was so excited to see that it was actually "gelly". And I'm pretty sure that it is supposed to look that way. I think I actually succeeded in making stock! Please don't tell anyone I added a bouillon cube though because now I regret it.